I’m working on a web API project with ASP.NET Core 3.1 and I need to capture the IP address of clients making requests to my endpoints. I’ve tried a few different approaches but I’m not getting the correct results. Sometimes I get null values or localhost instead of the actual client IP. This is really important for my logging and security features. Can someone show me the proper way to extract the real client IP address from incoming HTTP requests? I would really appreciate any working examples or best practices for handling this in ASP.NET Core 3.1. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Had similar struggles with this recently. The key thing that helped me was setting up the forwarded headers middleware correctly before any other middleware that needs the IP address. You need to configure ForwardedHeadersOptions to specify which headers to trust and from which networks. In my production environment behind nginx, I had to explicitly set ForwardedHeaders to include XForwardedFor and XForwardedProto. Also worth noting that during development you’ll often see ::1 or 127.0.0.1 which is expected when testing locally. One gotcha I encountered was the order of middleware registration - make sure UseForwardedHeaders comes very early in your pipeline. For debugging purposes, I recommend logging both the raw headers and the processed IP to understand what’s happening in your specific setup.
check if you’re behind a load balancer or cloudflare - that usually causes the localhost issue. i use HttpContext.Connection.RemoteIpAddress?.ToString() but you gotta handle the proxy headers too. sometimes you need to look at X-Real-IP header instead of X-Forwarded-For depending on your setup.
I ran into the exact same issue a few months back and it was driving me crazy. The problem is that HttpContext.Connection.RemoteIpAddress often returns localhost or the proxy IP instead of the actual client. What finally worked for me was checking the X-Forwarded-For header first, then falling back to RemoteIpAddress. You can access it through HttpContext.Request.Headers[“X-Forwarded-For”] and parse the first IP if there are multiple. Just be aware that this header can be spoofed, so validate the format. Also make sure your reverse proxy or load balancer is configured to pass through the original client IP. In my case I had to enable proxy forwarding in Startup.cs with app.UseForwardedHeaders() and configure the ForwardedHeadersOptions properly. The combination of these approaches gave me reliable client IP detection.